Our fellowship program provides two
years of post residency, post-doctoral research, education, and clinical
learning opportunities to eligible physicians and associated health
professionals. Fellows spend approximately 75 percent of their time in
research and education and 25 percent in clinical care at our VA
sites. Mentors of national stature provide guidance to fellows in rich
learning environments. Graduates are expected to be role models in
leading, developing, conducting, and evaluating innovative research,
education, and clinical care in health issues pertaining to women and women Veterans.
Eligible physicians must:
- have graduated from an Accreditation Council
for Graduate Medical Education (ACGME) accredited residency;
- be board
certified or board eligible in internal medicine (or one of its
subspecialties), family medicine/practice, gynecology, psychiatry, or surgery;
- have an active, unrestricted U.S. medical license;
- and meet the education and licensure requirements according to the 2011 Women's Health Program Announcement..
Applicants must desire
to lead women veterans' healthcare in the 21st century. International
medical graduates must also have a current visa to participate in the
program and an Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates
(ECFMG) certificate that is valid indefinitely. Applicants with a J-1
visa must have current ECFMG sponsorship to participate in the program.
Eligible post-doctoral associated health professionals must:
- be a US citizen;
- demonstrate interest in pursuing a VA career with women’s health as a
- be qualified in a health profession relevant to the
health of women Veterans (nurses, psychologists, speech language pathologists, etc.);
- not be
simultaneously enrolled an accredited clinical training program;
- and meet the education and licensure requirements according to the 2011 Women's Health Program Announcement.
More information is available at the VA Office of Academic Affiliations (OAA) Advanced Fellowship in Women's Health page or VA OAA Advanced Fellowships Homepage.